MOVIES & STUFF
Well, so much fer that. Remember that text I said wifey sent me Fri? Turns out it was meant fer her sis who texted her when she was sleepin'. Crap. Here I thought we were on our way back to clownin', and turns out she was clownin' with the wrong person. I mean, it sounded like her bustin' 'em over my not gettin' a gift instead of a gift card. Ah well. At least I got a story about the contractor she mentioned outta it. Late as usual, but it kept our convo goin' fer a while. Followed it up with pics of her area flooded from last week, includin' my hotel. Funny shit.
Saw Supes Returns today. Went to meet D at 11:15, but turns out he was there earlier (fer once) since it was the openin' weekend and bought me my ticket before I came. Called me twice, but had already set my phone to vibrate and didn't feel it till we were sittin' down. Surprised me by havin' Shawn there. Not that I minded, just wasn't expectin' him. Although I probably shoulda. Chalk it up to the case of the Sundays.
Movie was alright...not great. Here's my review of it if ya care:
Spoilerific.
Saw the movie today. First off, SFX were top notch. Extremely flawless. The technology is finally catching up to the vision. Spacey was a good Lex, reminding me of a combo of Hackman and Rosenbaum in multiple scenes. The suit's bad shots were fortunately few and far between; it looks much better at night than it does during the day. And that opening with the theme...sent chills down my spine.
However, the movie felt almost like an updated version of Superman 1 rather than a 3B. The execution of the story was EXTREMELY similar; comes to Earth, learns about his powers, scene in the fortress, goes to the Planet, saves Lois from some kind of flying thing and cites a statistic, Luthor has real estate ambitions, one of Luthor's cronies is a ***** with a heart, Supes gets poisoned by Kryptonite (with a suspicious lack of blood) and left to drown, Supes has to stop an earthquake (or rather it's effects) then save Lois who becomes a victim of said earthquake (by association), and then preforms an over-the-top and impossible feat of physics to save the day. Does anybody also notice that Supes' intro always seems to invovle a malfunctioning aircraft? Superman I: Air Force One. Superman: TAS: Jet liner. Superman Returns: Experimental shuttle plane. Think Supes needs to get that statistic rechecked.
The newest part of the movie was the kid angle, a remnant from the tryst in Superman II. I'm not a big fan of the idea, but they can make me one if they handle it right in the sequels. Me, I just can't see Lois as the motherly type. Not at this point in her career. I was interested in seeing how they acknowledged the amnesia kiss from II, but they just glossed over it. Obviously the effects were still in place, but casual movie goers who haven't seen the first two would be scratching their heads as to how the hell that happened. Bosworth also looked a little too young to be a hard as nails Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. She did remind me a bit of the Lois from Smallville but someone older with a more seasoned appearance would've really driven home the universe they were expanding.
Speaking of Smallville, the movie runs into one of the fatal flaws of the show: Kryptonite. Remember those old WB cartoons where a character would run off a cliff but wouldn't fall until they noticed they were standing on air? That's how Kryptonite has become lately in film media. On the show, Clark is able to function all well and good within even 5 feet of the stuff. Only when he turns around and sees it does it glow and he gets sick...same when it's in someone's pocket (lotta lead-lined pockets in Smallville, let me tell ya). Here, he lands on an entire island of the stuff and shows NO sign of weakening until Luthor punches him. Luthor, also having a sliver in his coat. More lead-lined pockets. As established by the continuity they follow, when Supes opened the lead box in the first one, he became visibly ill after a matter of seconds of exposure.
Routh pulled off Supes pretty nicely, although I didn't see all the parallels between his Clark and that of Reeve that everyone else seems to see. While he did try to pull off the Clark persona as the other movies did, I don't think Clark was given enough to do to accurately judge. He didn't come off so much as bumbling as he did the cool and collected version from the animated series. There just wasn't that extreme duality that Reeve was able to pull off. Probably just needs more time to find his footing, or maybe deleted scenes would better display his performance. He had his moments, though, so that's a step in the right direction. I would've preferred Hugh Laurie as Perry, but Langella did alright. Jimmy was nicely casted.
Finally the ending felt a little...wrong. Just something about it didn't sit too well with me, not sure what it is. Maybe it ran a bit too long. I dunno. I just found that ending to be very weak. I did like that they chose to end it like the prior films with him in space coming back down to Earth, but everything inbetween the unbelievable ability of an island to not collapse under its own weight to that final shot just seemed out of place. Also, it was kinda hard to root for a hero that was willingly going after another man's woman regardless of how they both feel about each other. Hardly what the idol of millions and a man of impecable morals should be doing, no?
Overall, it was a decent flick that may just find it's way into my DVD case, or maybe I'll hold out until that 5 movie boxed set I heard rumors about is released. Next time, though, I hope they pick a villain Supes can actually FIGHT instead of Luthor...or at least give Luthor a super-powered henchman. Gets kind of dull seeing this repeated stalemate fight and dance they seem to have. Or at least give him a new ambition beyond land.
Plus there was a disturbin' scene with a dog that really didn't needed to be shown 3 times.
I got kinda lonely durin' the flick, probably feelin' more isolated than Supes was sposed to. Missed wifey a bit too. Figgers. One more week to go...
After, we went to the comic shop so D could get a poster and drool over a $200 statue. I reminded him he should start savin' up 'cause he's gonna be hit hard come tax season. Dude needs to take up some accountin' practices. Came home to do some writin', got very little done. I did join this comic network group one of my co-workers at Spiderfan recommended I join, so waitin' fer that to go through. Also verified my Paypal so I can get started sellin'. More on that soon, I hope.
Saw Supes Returns today. Went to meet D at 11:15, but turns out he was there earlier (fer once) since it was the openin' weekend and bought me my ticket before I came. Called me twice, but had already set my phone to vibrate and didn't feel it till we were sittin' down. Surprised me by havin' Shawn there. Not that I minded, just wasn't expectin' him. Although I probably shoulda. Chalk it up to the case of the Sundays.
Movie was alright...not great. Here's my review of it if ya care:
Spoilerific.
Saw the movie today. First off, SFX were top notch. Extremely flawless. The technology is finally catching up to the vision. Spacey was a good Lex, reminding me of a combo of Hackman and Rosenbaum in multiple scenes. The suit's bad shots were fortunately few and far between; it looks much better at night than it does during the day. And that opening with the theme...sent chills down my spine.
However, the movie felt almost like an updated version of Superman 1 rather than a 3B. The execution of the story was EXTREMELY similar; comes to Earth, learns about his powers, scene in the fortress, goes to the Planet, saves Lois from some kind of flying thing and cites a statistic, Luthor has real estate ambitions, one of Luthor's cronies is a ***** with a heart, Supes gets poisoned by Kryptonite (with a suspicious lack of blood) and left to drown, Supes has to stop an earthquake (or rather it's effects) then save Lois who becomes a victim of said earthquake (by association), and then preforms an over-the-top and impossible feat of physics to save the day. Does anybody also notice that Supes' intro always seems to invovle a malfunctioning aircraft? Superman I: Air Force One. Superman: TAS: Jet liner. Superman Returns: Experimental shuttle plane. Think Supes needs to get that statistic rechecked.
The newest part of the movie was the kid angle, a remnant from the tryst in Superman II. I'm not a big fan of the idea, but they can make me one if they handle it right in the sequels. Me, I just can't see Lois as the motherly type. Not at this point in her career. I was interested in seeing how they acknowledged the amnesia kiss from II, but they just glossed over it. Obviously the effects were still in place, but casual movie goers who haven't seen the first two would be scratching their heads as to how the hell that happened. Bosworth also looked a little too young to be a hard as nails Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. She did remind me a bit of the Lois from Smallville but someone older with a more seasoned appearance would've really driven home the universe they were expanding.
Speaking of Smallville, the movie runs into one of the fatal flaws of the show: Kryptonite. Remember those old WB cartoons where a character would run off a cliff but wouldn't fall until they noticed they were standing on air? That's how Kryptonite has become lately in film media. On the show, Clark is able to function all well and good within even 5 feet of the stuff. Only when he turns around and sees it does it glow and he gets sick...same when it's in someone's pocket (lotta lead-lined pockets in Smallville, let me tell ya). Here, he lands on an entire island of the stuff and shows NO sign of weakening until Luthor punches him. Luthor, also having a sliver in his coat. More lead-lined pockets. As established by the continuity they follow, when Supes opened the lead box in the first one, he became visibly ill after a matter of seconds of exposure.
Routh pulled off Supes pretty nicely, although I didn't see all the parallels between his Clark and that of Reeve that everyone else seems to see. While he did try to pull off the Clark persona as the other movies did, I don't think Clark was given enough to do to accurately judge. He didn't come off so much as bumbling as he did the cool and collected version from the animated series. There just wasn't that extreme duality that Reeve was able to pull off. Probably just needs more time to find his footing, or maybe deleted scenes would better display his performance. He had his moments, though, so that's a step in the right direction. I would've preferred Hugh Laurie as Perry, but Langella did alright. Jimmy was nicely casted.
Finally the ending felt a little...wrong. Just something about it didn't sit too well with me, not sure what it is. Maybe it ran a bit too long. I dunno. I just found that ending to be very weak. I did like that they chose to end it like the prior films with him in space coming back down to Earth, but everything inbetween the unbelievable ability of an island to not collapse under its own weight to that final shot just seemed out of place. Also, it was kinda hard to root for a hero that was willingly going after another man's woman regardless of how they both feel about each other. Hardly what the idol of millions and a man of impecable morals should be doing, no?
Overall, it was a decent flick that may just find it's way into my DVD case, or maybe I'll hold out until that 5 movie boxed set I heard rumors about is released. Next time, though, I hope they pick a villain Supes can actually FIGHT instead of Luthor...or at least give Luthor a super-powered henchman. Gets kind of dull seeing this repeated stalemate fight and dance they seem to have. Or at least give him a new ambition beyond land.
Plus there was a disturbin' scene with a dog that really didn't needed to be shown 3 times.
I got kinda lonely durin' the flick, probably feelin' more isolated than Supes was sposed to. Missed wifey a bit too. Figgers. One more week to go...
After, we went to the comic shop so D could get a poster and drool over a $200 statue. I reminded him he should start savin' up 'cause he's gonna be hit hard come tax season. Dude needs to take up some accountin' practices. Came home to do some writin', got very little done. I did join this comic network group one of my co-workers at Spiderfan recommended I join, so waitin' fer that to go through. Also verified my Paypal so I can get started sellin'. More on that soon, I hope.


2 Comments:
Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»
Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home