Wednesday, May 28, 2008

WHERE WE ARE

Getting around to updating this thing is becoming quite a challenge, so I can't guarantee daily updates as much as I used to. But, I know some people actually care about this so I'll keep it going for a while yet.

Memorial Day we were closed, so yesterday we got the freight for both Monday and Tuesday. The deck was loaded with cans, but what we ended up getting was a pitiful amount. Why? Because the international packages from countries that don't celebrate the holiday were in transit and on their way to us today. That's right, we got SLAMMED. I ended up will almost 130 pieces, many of them rather large which meant additional trips into my building. As it was getting closer to 9 and I was still in the station, I had to drop 3 stops which is a damn good thing I did. Figures, the day we DON'T need to leave early is the day we do. Things are screwy around here, lemme tell ya.

Let's add to that that two days in a row now, they took the main elevator out of service sometime around 10, effectively locking the handtrucks the guys pick up off the upper floors for me on it. And that's two days I had to wait for someone to go try to retrieve them. Yesterday was harrowing since we treated it like a Monday, which meant I had less time to screw around than usual. Today was a little better, but I still needed to go get gas for my truck (which is back, still with engine problems...damn mechanic). I tell ya, something very wrong when the price ticks faster than the gallons. I mean, doesn't it just figure I FINALLY get a car that WORKS as well as a desire to travel some right when gas is insane? The old luck strikes again. They were also doing some demolition along 11th Avenue, they blasted just after I passed. Explosions sound way different than they do in movies, for those who didn't know.

Small Press Idol Round 3 is underway. Projects were turned in Sunday, judges commented last two days, and now voting is open. I didn't hear anything about my project I didn't already know. One of the judges said my being editor could be hampering the ability to change what's needed to make things work. No, what hampered that ability was the fact every stage we've pushed the boundaries of the deadlines and had to forego a LOT of little things. Come publication time, I can get most of it fixed so I'm not worried. Not even gonna try to have any of the art redone. Hell, I don't even know if the rest of the art is even being worked on! If aggrivation was a judging requirement, I'd win hands down. At least the competition isn't so stiff this time; several projects not quite being completed and others not presenting the same game they brought last round. It's not weak enough that I'll be in the top 3, but I shouldn't be DEAD dead last like I was. Also, one other project never submitted anything and by default took said last spot, and another project that got bumped out due to lack of promotion and votes has some sour grapes attached to it thanks to some flaring egos. It always seems to be professional quality artists who bring it as well (not that writers are innocent, but in this situation...). Look, can the ego. Nobody gives a shit how good you are if you can't deliver. And that's all I have to say about that.

I've gotten myself into quite the fine situation where it stands to end very badly for me. Not that it'll be anyone's fault, it's just usually how it plays out. Well, no, it'll be my fault for allowing it to get so far but meh. They say life is a series of random events, but can it really be random when you can practically map out the script for things? I keep hoping one day to end up in the situation that goes off-book, but I'm not holding my breath. Meantime, I'll just suck it up and enjoy the ride...and enjoying it I most definitely am. If it were up to me I'd keep it that way forever, but, alas, it ain't.

Catching the Colbert Report tonight (instead of going to bed...I'm bad, I know) I saw the story on how MLB is forcing little league teams to stop using "trademarked" team names or else go through their uniform supplier (which is more expensive). What. The. Fuck. Yo, MLB, they're KIDS playing baseball with absolutely NO profit being gained. Are you SERIOUSLY gonna be mighty douches and say that everyday average words that HAPPEN to be team names CAN'T be used by goddamn kids playing?! Way to shit on your fans. If there was a team called the New York Yankees or the Detroit Tigers, I could understand your position...but if they use those names with a different town then what the hell is your problem? My high school had the Tigers, wanna go after them too? Whoever made this brilliant decision needs to be nominated for doucebag of the year, I tell ya. You don't go after kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home