Saturday, October 20, 2007

METAL HEALTH WILL DRIVE YA MAD

Tonight was the Fearsmag concert. I got some writin' done then went fer a quick bike ride as it was such a gorgeous day. I had called James to see if he was still going and what one should wear to a shindig like this, as I didn't want a repeat of the Crystal incident in August. It's one thing going downtown, it's another going all the way to midtown. I settled on jeans and a black t-shirt, until I was already dying of heat after 10 mins so it became my red-orange t-shirt. Shoes gave me a bit of a problem, my regular Converse all messy as hell, so I dusted off and wore my all-back Converse that I hadn't in a long time. Mostly because for summer, they were lousy hot.

I got there a li'l after 8, but Mark, Bob and Tom and his wife were already there by the front door. Was at Blaggard's Pub; not a bad looking place, your typical bar with a small entertainment section for bands up front. Eventually we were joined by Ravi and his friend, both of whom wore shorts which pissed me off to no-end (screwed myself twice already...damn dress codes!). Then Ed and Lorna came, followed by James and Chris and his friends. We were rounded out by Melvin, Belkis and eventually Rachel coming.

There was lots of free swag from Fearsmag all around, and I took a bit of each. There were patches, cards, mini buttons, a painted poster, a 30 Days of Night poster, Beowulf hats and copies of a Beowulf preview comic. The bands eventually set up by around 10 and began to play. And then I went deaf. WOW was it loud. They were groups called Toolfist (Tool tribute band, which seems kinda odd to tribute a band still playing...more like we can't find our own sound so we're gonna rip off someone else) and M-16. Li'l loud fer my tastes, but Mark was digging it. As was one of the girls there watching the show who was really rocking out. There was also a raffle that both me and Tom were two winners of, getting an As I Lay Dying poster, Texas Chainsaw Massacre CD and a Halloween t-shirt which was too small fer me. Yippee.

Tom left earlier than most, and I was progressively getting bored as the night went on. Everyone was in their own little groups or mingling with other people there they knew, leaving me to sit and listen to music I don't even really like. At one point, the "party" moved outside where I eventually followed for others about to leave. Melvin dragged Chris and company to a Goth club, Rachel was beginning to pass out, Belkis and James went for parts unknown, as did Ed's friend who came. Bob eventually left as he hadda make the last train for CT. The small group of people who came to the show also began to disperse, and Mark was ready to call it a night after the last set playing.

I helped Mark and Ed take down the blown-up pages from the two issues of Psychosis done by the Fearsmag guys and the covers from both that were hanging all over the center divider of the bar. About that time the band decided to call it quits as well. Ed and Lorna finally left, leaving Fearsmag Ed to collect the leftover bits of swag nobody took. I grabbed my stuff and two Psychosis 1 covers, and mark stuck me with the rest of the Beowulf comics to give out at functions or conventions or wherever. I wrapped the comics in my shirt and put the posters inside each other, then it was off to the train.

Not bad. Not much of a turnout, not my kinda scene, but it was alright. Next week is the party to go to, though. No doubt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home