Saturday, July 07, 2007

BOARDWALK FUN

Got up a li'l later than expected, an' started much later than expected. By my figurin', if things ran to schedule I only had 2 hours to get the apartment in shape. Somehow, I managed to do it, PLUS the hallway. No way it'd pass under a close inspection, but if yer just passin' through place looks damn good. Whatever I couldn't put away I stashed either downstairs or nextdoor. Hafta put those back later on before the 'rents get home.

Babs got a li'l delayed. Her coffee date ran long (kinda expected it would; she's so fun I couldn't picture her friend bailin' on time) an' then ran into another friend, which actually left me with a LOT of extra time I coulda cleaned it. But, better safe than sorry, right? Funny thing was, there was LOTS of parkin' on the block today, even the idiots weren't in the driveway. By the time she got here she coulda had any of 5 spots or I coulda done my rountine of givin' her the Toyota's spot then re-swappin' at the end of the night. I was really amazed, never usually that many places. Guess everyone's still on vacation.

After a li'l confusion with the front door (nobody knows to come inside anymore, even though this wasn't a problem until just a couple years ago) she was here an' she got to see home sweet shithole. My room effectively scared her, but she didn't bolt fer the door so I'm takin' that as a very good sign. After a few mins we were all set to leave, I was just gonna lock the cats in front with the AC 'cause it was a tad warm. Had her step outside 'cause Stitch was hidin' as usual, but boy...what a bitch she was to get out! Even with Babs in the hall she was too scared to come out. I practically hadda chase her all over the place which resulted in a li'l pee discharge. Fortunately it was just the window sill, an' I eventually got her. Pain.

Train ride went fairly easy, 'cept fer a delay pullin' into Stillwell. Since we were hungry, first stop was Nathans. She was a li'l hesitant 'cause she doesn't like hot dogs, but I informed her THIS Nathans has a whole selection. She couldn't believe they had seafood AND chicken there. Ended up at the seafood section; she got shrimp an' fries, I got a sandwich an' fries with lemonades. We ate an' talked, and had a li'l incident with explodin' cocktail sauce. Kinda funny considerin' this mornin' I decided to just dump the ketchup that's been sittin' on the counter an' when I opened it to rinse it it exploded all over the place. Fortunately was gonna dump my PJs in the wash an' hadda clean the kitchen anyways, an' just as fortunate the mess with the sauce wasn't so bad.

Then, it was time to go to the park. She ain't never been there before so I let her take point. We saw a guy sellin' some animals by the boardwalk, includin' a giant snake which intrigued her. After she got disgruntled not bein' able to see it after the guy put it down, we headed over to the park areas. Was very crowded today, plus there was a ballgame goin' on. Guess everyone had the same idea...perfect day to go, li'l warm but otherwise beautiful. Glad too, 'cause earlier there was some overcast an' was worried we'd get rained out.

Now the first thing we did after walkin' around Astroland fer a bit was pay a visit to the bathroom trailer in the park. Large lemonade plus Babs, bad mix. I couldn't beleive they actually CHARGED to get into those damn things Crappy li'l trailer set-up was all it was, but whatever. Closer than headin' back down to the boardwalk fer a proper one. I walked with her as far as I could next to the ramp that led up to it, resultin' in us temporarily tradin' heights. She got to see me the way I see her an' vice versa. After a long wait, she finally got in an' we were off fer some fun.

First stop ended up bein' the Cyclone, as it was just too cool lookin' to pass up. So there we were, waitin'. Our first attempt to get on kinda failed 'cause I was a bit too large fer the seat an' it couldn't lock. So we climbed out an' hadda wait till this guy an' his daughter got outta the front car of the section as they went fer a re-ride, an' then this other kid jumped in front of Babs when they finally vacated. 3rd time was the charm, an' I was able to just barely fit an' let the bar lock in place. Then the ride began. HO-LY SHIT! The drops on that thing were intense! Followed by the quick uphill runs... Damn. Didn't expect that! Felt like my head was bein' forced into my body. Also, I was a bit too wide fer the protective paddin', which resulted in my knee an' elbow bein' banged up. By the end of the ride I was limpin' a bit, which made Babs feel bad. Tried to tell her it'd be fine soon, but she's yet to know about my fast healin' an' that I get banged up like that periodically on the job an' stuff. No big. But, it was fun, made even more so by the company.

Next up was the Water Flume ride. She was wearin' long sleeves an' pants 'cause bugs like to eat her up, but the heat got her an' she rolled both up an' picked that ride to help her cool off. Before we got on line, my shoulder started to hurt from the Cyclone, an' while we were waitin' she gave me a quick massage which was a nice surprise. Also ironic, considerin' I was considerin' givin' her one 'cause of all her work stress at some point, but as the night progressed saw that wasn't gonna be possible anyway. The ride was also very fun. Sure, the initial ride was bumpy, but slow an' she was a li'l disappointed with it, but the final drop is where the fun is an' you get the super splash that had us effectively coated. Not soaked, but coated. Cooled her off, that's fer sure.

Next up were the bumper cars. Told her I like the extra challenge of avoidin' bein' hit fer as long as possible, but she told me I better be hittin' people. Well, don't say I never oblige. I got in a li'l of my avoidance practice (not bad considerin' I was doin' it one handed thanks to the arm) but then I made sure to target her an' give her what she wanted. Was a point I rode her ass fer a good length of time, an' she told me later she couldn't figger out where I was at the time. Told her, all those li'l bumps from behind you? Was me. That was a lot of fun, but she got clobbered pretty hard...especially by me. Either they increased the power of them things or the bumpers ain't as bumpy as they shoulda been.

Finally, we did the ride she was dyin' to do...which was what we thought was a free-fall drop type thing. Looks like we were both mistaken, was just a ride that elevated an' spun around slowly to give you a view of the area. When we were under the impression, though, she was startin' to get a li'l worried the higher we went 'cause there were no securin' devices on the seats. I took her hand to help keep her calm, an' then we got the revelation we got the wrong ride. Never did find out fer sure if she was really gettin' scared or not or if it was just a ploy to get me to hold her hand. I told her she didn't need to do that, I woulda done it at any time had I known it woulda been welcomed. Tryin' hard not to repeat the mistakes of some of the guys she dated, as they tried to move a bit too fast too soon. Of course, since it's me, I miss all the signs anyway. Oh, and the view was spectacular, if you was wonderin'.

It was my turn to go to the bathroom, so we headed to the Boardwalk as the next ride of the night was gonna be the Wonder Wheel an' 'cause I didn't wanna pay a quarter fer the bathroom. Joke was on me as the boardwalk bathrooms closed an hour prior. Oh well. We found one right by the Wonder Wheel an' I went on searchin' fer a change machine that actually worked while she got the tickets. 3rd time was the charm there too. When I came back she was standin' there, didn't see she was on the phone, so I came up behind her an' spooked her with a boo. The way she jumped was so cute an' I am so evil. So there we were, waitin' on the line fer the bathroom till it was revealed the line was fer the LADIES room (always the longest lines, apparently) an' the guys could breeze on through. So I did, got back out, then we were in line waitin' fer one of the swingin' cars, as who really wants a stationary one?

It was just as fun as I remembered, an' we had yet another spectacular view an' I got her head on my shoulder with her arms around mine. Think that was my favorite part of the night right there. We also saw the ride she was lookin' fer finally, but guess that'll hafta wait till she's here on the field trip with the kids from her program. Of course, it was over too quick an' we hadda make way fer the train so she could get home before she passed out. She had a long, busy (yet fun) week an' she was pretty much shot by the time we got back to Bay Ridge. We said our goodbyes by her car an' she got in to get goin'. And then she was gone, an' I can't wait fer the next time. Way it sounds so far looks like won't be till another month, but worth the wait.

Rest of the night was uneventful. Sis was on 'cause her BF's up here fer a while, so we talked fer a bit. Got some food 'cause I was hungry again, an' was gonna do some work but suddenly I'm feelin' a bit tired an' sore from the damn ride, so think I'm headin' off. Tomorrow gotta get some work done as I gotta go to the Manhattan mall where James wants to discuss the gallery project with everyone before our meetin' next weekend where the curator will be attendin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home