Saturday, March 01, 2008

SNOWFALL AND ICE CREAM

Met this gal through one of those dating things I posted, Jess. Seems like a nice gal, could be a good friend. We're testing that theory today with my new museum initative.

First, I went around getting the reference shots for my arist on the comic. Along the way, I snagged some other buildings I liked and might wanna use down the line, marking them off in one of my map books. Trying to get smart with this location scouting thing. Then it was off to the Whiteny to meet her, though I got there a little later than planned thanks to JUST missing the 6. Effing people who can't pick ONE side of the stairs to walk on...

Anyways, turns out only the 5th floor was open due to them changing exhibits or some shit. WTF? Didn't mention it on their site, dammit! Ah well, at least they only charged us half price. The exhibit was modern art, abstracts, classical painting, and this one guy who did a series of Lancaster, PA chimneys. It was alright, but I think our commentary throughout made it better. Coolest part, though, was hearing Danny Elfman's Batman theme in the elevator on the way up. Never been to a museum with such good taste in music!

After our third time going through the gallery, we took our leave (after a brief stopover with a guard to discuss my hat, the Cyclones and the new Yankee stadium...trying to be friendly). We headed downtown so I could show her the Ghostbusters firehouse. We both took some shots before going to the nearby Square Diner where I could have lunch and she a rootbeer float, having ate Chinese before meeting me. Apparently, their concept of a Twin Cheeseburger Deluxe has gone from two cheeseburgers to two cheeseburgers on a bun apiece to create a double cheeseburger. It was also $2 more expensive than the menu stated. Ah well, at least they give you a lotta beef for your buck and it was good, though a little overcooked.

We headed out and down along the water where I showed her Rockefeller Park, and all the statues and artwork along the way down to the boat basin, then Battery Park City, then Battery Park itself. Also did some movie locations, feeling like a tour guide as I told her everything I knew about everything we saw. When we went to the little-known secret, the Irish Hunger Memorial, we got to the top and that's when it started to snow. Snowed about three times through our trek, but she was a trooper and wanted to keep on going. We passed by the Wintergarden so she could grab a latte and was good to go.

She took her leave when we got to the National Museum of the American Indian as her trains were right there. I could have gone to Whitehall to catch my train, but opted to head back north to pick up this truck hubcap I saw when we crossed the West Side Highway. Yes, I'm crazy...she said it and so did D when I called to check up on him from his surgery yesterday. He's fine, a little sore, naturally, staying with his 'rents for a few days until he can move and use his crutches. We'll get together next weekend for lunch, guilting Tina and Nelson to come because of his ailment.

I'd been dying for a Carvelanche all week, so after dinner I went and got us stuff from Carvel. So good. I spent the rest of the night working on my reviews and my price guide list (trying to get use of my 365 days while I can!). Also, I finally bought an MP3 player. $129 for 8GB, pretty good deal considering I had that unused $50 gift card. Or, it was until I got slammed with over $10 in tax! The hell?! For that price I may as well've gotten an iPod! Ah well, at least I'll get my couple thousand songs (hopefully in time for my trip!) and it's memory upgradeable, so I can buy myself one of them chips and maybe get beyond 8GB! That'd be pretty sweet!

Overall, a fun day. If I didn't scare Jess off with being me, think she could be a cool friend to have. At least she's someone to go to museums with who won't call me 30 years old. Lookin' at you, D!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home