Friday, February 15, 2008

PICK ME UP BEFORE YOU GO GO

I knew it. Woke up feeling worse. All my joints were shot to hell and my neck was still bugging me. Not to mention my knuckles are all bruised up. Seriously, do I fight in my sleep? Now a smart person would have stayed home to recouperate. Correction, a smart NORMAL person. My body's never exactly been normal. Several years ago when I threw out my back riding the F-train to a crappy desk job for high school, all the things I did that were "good" for it only made it worse. It was only by working as normal and ignoring the pain did it lessen and eventually disappear. Well, this was no different. I went to work and as the day wore on the pain gradually decreased and I was almost able to function as normal. Granted, I couldn't do any of my usual "stunts" but take what you can get.

It was pretty much a standard day. 19 stops, almost 80 packages, no real bulky ones. Had some more godforsaken flowers to deliver. I thought they woulda all been done yesterday, but nope. Ya know, if I wanted to show someone I loved 'em I wouldn't send flowers via a parcel service! We've had instances where those boxes were destroyed almost by the time we got them. There's a divorce! Anyways, the normal easy day took a change when I got passed along a pick-up stop by Rory. Thanks. Ass.

Nobody ever came to get the stuff from my 5th floor stop, so now I had to do it. Fortunately I got the message before I began to deliver so I could plan accordingly. I saved that stop for last, and after I delivered I went into pick-up mode and hoped I remembered enough of what to do so I could do it. My last REAL pick-up outside of class was back in the summer, and that was an easy domestic one. International ones take a bit of doing and research. Luckily, I kept my how-to guide from class and the recent books needed for said research in the bucket in my truck. Always be prepared! Took me about half an hour to process 22 packages, and hopefully I did them right.

Traffic was a bitch getting back to the station, so I was forced to punch out to avoid a viloation while I finished up what I had to do. See, you need a printer on pick-ups to print out new labels for the packages. I, being a delivery courier, had no printer so I needed to do that when I got back. Took a few minutes, no big deal. Dropped off the paperwork where it goes, threw my undeliverable packages in the downstairs cage, and managed to get the hell out of there.

Got home and BSed for a while before me and ma headed out to pick up some cat litter and DVDs we ordered from Best Buy. Spent the rest of the night just maxing and relaxing. Probably do some work over the weekend, as usual. Oh, and in other news, the stories have been picked for the next anthology...of which mine wasn't one of them. Ah well, didn't think I had something worth going with in the batch I sent. I was too beat to come up with a halfway coherent idea. Some I might eventually explore, but we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home