THE MOVE
Today was movin' day. Fer D, not me...unfortunately. Didn't get to bed till late 'cause that's just me bein' dumb choosin' to look fer tools I'll need, and then hadda get up early. On a Sunday. Thaaaaaat's right. Anyways, I was runnin' a bit late, but I was up, dressed and ready in no time. Just as I'm puttin' th' boxes I saved fer him on the handtruck he calls to say he forgot to clean his apartment first, so gonna be delayed fer a bit. This' the overall theme of the day. See, with the boxes too, he had asked me if I had any 'fore he left so I started savin' 'em, only fer him to tell me he bought some plastic ones and wouldn't need 'em, only to tell me AGAIN he WOULD need 'em after all.
So I had breakfast, surfed fer a bit, then got the call to go. Secured the boxes and tools, and pops gave me a ratchet strap in case the bungees I took wouldn't suffice to hold stuff. Got there to find his room a royal mess, naturally. He and his sis assembled the boxes so he could finish (not that he really started) while I disassembled his bed. As movers were too expensive fer him, we were gonna use his sister's car. That got me a bit worried considerin' it was a small POS, but he tells me she got a new mini-suv. Yupp, more late info.
Things were ready to go, so we carted down a couple batches of boxes and crammed them into the tiny truck. Her BF Mike helped out a bit too. We got to his place, dropped off the boxes, then went back fer another load. Repeat. Soon, we were outta boxes thus outta loads, so now it was time fer the furniture. Their pops had decided to get them heavy wood furniture fer whatever freakin' reason, so makin' 'em lighter was a priority. His desk wouldn't cooperate as the drawers refused to come out. However, we were fortunate that the top shelf part came off and wasn't glued down as previously thought. Got that down, as well as his TV stand and a small book shelf. Of course, in order to do that we hadda put down the back seats which meant me an' D hadda walk to his place to meet 'em.
Did I mention how much of a comedy routine this was? Seriously. Aside from th' usual pitfalls and blunders, D was fairly ineffectual when it came to movin' stuff, so he handled li'l BS stuff while me an' Mike did the heavy liftin'. Didn't help his building's door didn't open all the way and the corners were nice an' tight to get into. Anyways, next run was the dresser whose drawers DID come out. We got two of those on one of the other runs. Loaded it, his TV, the head/foot boards from the bed and the drawers and made yet another trip.
Now, the only problem was his bed. Was a bit too long fer that car and we couldn't figger out how to do it. I called my pops to see if he could provide brief services. Lucked out right there. He came and we loaded the rest of the bed and my tools in the van then met him at the apartment. Shoulda had his sis stick around to drive us, but we dismissed her and Mike prematurely. Ah well. I carried the crap inside and got to work fixin' the place up. Managed to set his bedroom up the way he wanted so that was a plus. A word on his apartment: he's overpayin'. Two large rooms and a bathroom is what he's payin' fer. A good startin' apartment I guess, but not fer the money he's payin'. Damn NY.
He ordered us some Dominos and we ate and wrapped fer a bit before headin' off. Dropped off the tools at my house then went back to his fer the rest of my stuff. He was gonna hang with his buddy from school (who wouldn't come help, BTW) while I retired at home to stew in my soreness. Thing is, he's not finished movin'. Half his stuff (mostly clothes) is still at his old place 'cause instead of startin' to pack when he found out he'd hafta move like a normal person, he decides to wait until the last minute...with California especially pushin' it back. And here's the kicker! The move was pointless! That's right, if you've been readin' regular you know he hadda move 'cause his fam was wantin' a house in Staten Island. Well, apparently, Mike was gonna be in on that but his fundin' fer it fell through meanin' they wouldn't have the sufficient income to have a house. But, D saw the bright side and said it gave him an excuse to finally move out. Way to look at it, I guess. Me, I woulda been pissed as hell.
One of the things we talked about over dinner was my wifey situation, and it got me thinkin': I'm mad. I'm mad that I'm not mad at her. Why can't I be mad at her? Three years of my life have been dedicated to her and us, and then she changes her mind ONCE AGAIN and all that doesn't mean shit. Do I get angry? To I scream and yell? Do I tell her to go to hell? No. I smile, I play it off, I act like she didn't rip my heart out and do the Macarena on it. Maybe I'm just too damn understandin'. Maybe because I was expectin' this. Maybe because I know her as a flip-flopper on things she's supposedly made up her mind about. I dunno. All I know is she's all happy and tra-la-la with her great job and new work friends while I have jack shit and nuttin' but hurt...and I'm NOT mad at her.
Seriously think I need my head examined.
So I had breakfast, surfed fer a bit, then got the call to go. Secured the boxes and tools, and pops gave me a ratchet strap in case the bungees I took wouldn't suffice to hold stuff. Got there to find his room a royal mess, naturally. He and his sis assembled the boxes so he could finish (not that he really started) while I disassembled his bed. As movers were too expensive fer him, we were gonna use his sister's car. That got me a bit worried considerin' it was a small POS, but he tells me she got a new mini-suv. Yupp, more late info.
Things were ready to go, so we carted down a couple batches of boxes and crammed them into the tiny truck. Her BF Mike helped out a bit too. We got to his place, dropped off the boxes, then went back fer another load. Repeat. Soon, we were outta boxes thus outta loads, so now it was time fer the furniture. Their pops had decided to get them heavy wood furniture fer whatever freakin' reason, so makin' 'em lighter was a priority. His desk wouldn't cooperate as the drawers refused to come out. However, we were fortunate that the top shelf part came off and wasn't glued down as previously thought. Got that down, as well as his TV stand and a small book shelf. Of course, in order to do that we hadda put down the back seats which meant me an' D hadda walk to his place to meet 'em.
Did I mention how much of a comedy routine this was? Seriously. Aside from th' usual pitfalls and blunders, D was fairly ineffectual when it came to movin' stuff, so he handled li'l BS stuff while me an' Mike did the heavy liftin'. Didn't help his building's door didn't open all the way and the corners were nice an' tight to get into. Anyways, next run was the dresser whose drawers DID come out. We got two of those on one of the other runs. Loaded it, his TV, the head/foot boards from the bed and the drawers and made yet another trip.
Now, the only problem was his bed. Was a bit too long fer that car and we couldn't figger out how to do it. I called my pops to see if he could provide brief services. Lucked out right there. He came and we loaded the rest of the bed and my tools in the van then met him at the apartment. Shoulda had his sis stick around to drive us, but we dismissed her and Mike prematurely. Ah well. I carried the crap inside and got to work fixin' the place up. Managed to set his bedroom up the way he wanted so that was a plus. A word on his apartment: he's overpayin'. Two large rooms and a bathroom is what he's payin' fer. A good startin' apartment I guess, but not fer the money he's payin'. Damn NY.
He ordered us some Dominos and we ate and wrapped fer a bit before headin' off. Dropped off the tools at my house then went back to his fer the rest of my stuff. He was gonna hang with his buddy from school (who wouldn't come help, BTW) while I retired at home to stew in my soreness. Thing is, he's not finished movin'. Half his stuff (mostly clothes) is still at his old place 'cause instead of startin' to pack when he found out he'd hafta move like a normal person, he decides to wait until the last minute...with California especially pushin' it back. And here's the kicker! The move was pointless! That's right, if you've been readin' regular you know he hadda move 'cause his fam was wantin' a house in Staten Island. Well, apparently, Mike was gonna be in on that but his fundin' fer it fell through meanin' they wouldn't have the sufficient income to have a house. But, D saw the bright side and said it gave him an excuse to finally move out. Way to look at it, I guess. Me, I woulda been pissed as hell.
One of the things we talked about over dinner was my wifey situation, and it got me thinkin': I'm mad. I'm mad that I'm not mad at her. Why can't I be mad at her? Three years of my life have been dedicated to her and us, and then she changes her mind ONCE AGAIN and all that doesn't mean shit. Do I get angry? To I scream and yell? Do I tell her to go to hell? No. I smile, I play it off, I act like she didn't rip my heart out and do the Macarena on it. Maybe I'm just too damn understandin'. Maybe because I was expectin' this. Maybe because I know her as a flip-flopper on things she's supposedly made up her mind about. I dunno. All I know is she's all happy and tra-la-la with her great job and new work friends while I have jack shit and nuttin' but hurt...and I'm NOT mad at her.
Seriously think I need my head examined.


1 Comments:
Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home