THE TRIP IN SUMMATION
Day 2, my customary Walmart trip. Got some movies, some drinks, some snacks. Y'know, the usual. Took my customary trip to Burger King right after. I only have one thing to say about that:
That's pretty much how my Whopper Jr.s looked. Sad and disappointing. After that I proceeded to Peck's for more of their awesome chop meat and then back to the campgrounds. Unfortunately, I ended up behind on my entries for Index 11 thanks to the chronologies, so I had to do some work on that. But, being I needed the internet I did go down to the Rec Hall where I got to enjoy the festivities they had planned that weekend, such as Bingo and Karaoke again. Bingo I cleaned up, winning three times before the game was through. Karaoke, I didn't much pay attention this time.
Outside of that stuff, I pretty much spent the weekend working, cleaning and reading. I did try a fire one night, and had a bit more success than last time which meant the air WAS too damp last time. Although, that fire was quickly killed by the soft ground under the great choking all the air. Ah well. On the last day, after almost finishing packing up, I headed up to the water wheel to take a pic of the bricks off of it to show someone. I ended up on a spontaneous trip following the path of the water bed that led to it. I already knew where it went, but eh...adventure!
I did pretty good considering my bum knee, although I learned the painful lesson not to attempt a far high jump with a digital camera in your pocket. I tried to get from a rock cluster in the middle of the brook to the bank across the way. I shorted it and ended up with my foot in the water. At that point it was a lost cause so I waded up to an incline and climbed out.
I ended up on the old access road for the first time since the flooding. Man, was it a mess. I mean, it stopped being paved just past the campground, but it was still passable on wheels. What was left was just a mess. Ditches, rocks, new paths for the brook, fallen trees...no wonder the county chose to just close it off rather than fix it up. I got to the firing range, a good 3.something miles out, and went a little farther opting to finish the adventure my next weekend up. I went back, changed my shoes, socks and pants (this is why I pack extra clothes) and finished the clean-up.
Getting home wasn't too bad. Getting to the Goethals was slow and Staten Island was it's usual parking lot, but otherwise pretty decent for as late as I went back on a Monday. One month until my next trip...can't wait!
That's pretty much how my Whopper Jr.s looked. Sad and disappointing. After that I proceeded to Peck's for more of their awesome chop meat and then back to the campgrounds. Unfortunately, I ended up behind on my entries for Index 11 thanks to the chronologies, so I had to do some work on that. But, being I needed the internet I did go down to the Rec Hall where I got to enjoy the festivities they had planned that weekend, such as Bingo and Karaoke again. Bingo I cleaned up, winning three times before the game was through. Karaoke, I didn't much pay attention this time.
Outside of that stuff, I pretty much spent the weekend working, cleaning and reading. I did try a fire one night, and had a bit more success than last time which meant the air WAS too damp last time. Although, that fire was quickly killed by the soft ground under the great choking all the air. Ah well. On the last day, after almost finishing packing up, I headed up to the water wheel to take a pic of the bricks off of it to show someone. I ended up on a spontaneous trip following the path of the water bed that led to it. I already knew where it went, but eh...adventure!
I did pretty good considering my bum knee, although I learned the painful lesson not to attempt a far high jump with a digital camera in your pocket. I tried to get from a rock cluster in the middle of the brook to the bank across the way. I shorted it and ended up with my foot in the water. At that point it was a lost cause so I waded up to an incline and climbed out.
I ended up on the old access road for the first time since the flooding. Man, was it a mess. I mean, it stopped being paved just past the campground, but it was still passable on wheels. What was left was just a mess. Ditches, rocks, new paths for the brook, fallen trees...no wonder the county chose to just close it off rather than fix it up. I got to the firing range, a good 3.something miles out, and went a little farther opting to finish the adventure my next weekend up. I went back, changed my shoes, socks and pants (this is why I pack extra clothes) and finished the clean-up.
Getting home wasn't too bad. Getting to the Goethals was slow and Staten Island was it's usual parking lot, but otherwise pretty decent for as late as I went back on a Monday. One month until my next trip...can't wait!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home