Wednesday, August 19, 2009

NOTHING BUT COMICS...

Something tells me I forgot to post about this when it happened. So, may as well do it now on new comic day.

A few years ago, someone went through my comic boxes in the basement and walked off with about 2 dozen books. Two of them were my Larry Hama autographed Wolverines, a few special covers, and (one I couldn't figure out WHY) Spider-Man the Manga #1. I suspected my neighbor or one of his friends; more so when he caught me going through my box with a list and suddenly every other book that was missing (save the aforementioned ones) were returned the next day in a pile. But, no proof means I couldn't pursue the lead.

Anyway, I was able to reclaim all my books in replacements except for two; both covers of Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2 #25. These eluded me, partly to lack of availability, partly to the insane asking prices for both. Well, my diligence paid off and I was finally able to land both covers for semi-reasonable prices (that damn shipping). But, while it was the best deal I could secure, I still ended up paying over 400% what I originally paid...WITH a discount! Little bonus; in reclaiming one book, I was actually able to upgrade for a reasonable price; X-Men #100 signed by Chris Claremont from Dynamic Forces. Got it on Ebay cheaper than I should have.

But, it's nice to be whole again. I learned some lessons that I've implemented since then. All my special covers and autographs are up here with me in their own box and my downstairs boxes are now blocked by a pile of junk laid out in a way that I'd know if something was moved. Shame when you can't even feel secure in your own home.

In other news, my shop decided last week to start charging for their complimentary bag and boards for new comic purchases, citing losing money on shipping alone. But, so far, I've gone these two weeks without paying a cent for them. Pays to have clout.

I also went to a lecture after work in Bryant Park. Danny Fingeroth hosted a panel with Joe Quesada, Chip Kidd, and two others I didn't know about why comics were accepted nowadays. I didn't hear most of it 'cause the city noise drowned them out some, and I had more fun making fun of some things with James, also in attendance. We also talked to some perspective CAG members, so we'll see if they show up the next meeting. We told them when and where, the rest is up to them.

Dave & Busters was having another pre-Comiccon party tonight, but I was too tired to go. Working in the heat and humidity drains the batteries big-time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home