Friday, September 25, 2009

COMIC THOUGHTS

Working on the Index forces me to revisit comics I haven't read since their release, for the most part. I may not remember every story in high detail, but there were always bits and pieces that stuck with me. And, reading the new books at almost the same time kinda highlights those things in a new light. Now, by no means to I intend to imply stuff from the late 90s-early 00s were da bomb, in fact a lot of the stories sucked thanks to editorial incompetence, but they had elements I wish were able to be explored fruther.

-Juggernaut as a hero. Regardless of what people say about Chuck Austen, his evolution of Cain was superbly done. You could believe the change. Another good one was Sandman's redemption, but, of course, both were kiboshed and reversed. At least Juggy lasted a while.

-The NEW new X-Men. Marrow, Cecelia Reyes and Maggott had a lot of potential, especially the prior two. Having revisited Stacy X some, I could see she was just a Marrow replacement, as both had a similar attitude and development when they joined the team. I think both could've kept on the team and kept things interesting. Cecelia, I think, evolved perfectly. She was never gonna be an X-Man, so I liked when she went to private practice. And, at least she had some guest appearances after that fact. But, she coulda been a viable X-supporting character like Stevie Hunter was back in the day.

-Speaking of medics, Nurse Annie (don't even ask me to spell her last name). Sure, she came on board just because she fell in love with a comatose Havok, but it made sense for a school to have a medical presence. Wish she coulda stuck around too.

-Badass Cyclops. After recovering from Apocalypse's possession, Cyke got a darker costume (two, actually, both awesome) and a new attitude. This was dropped and he became his usual douchey self again before becoming the militant douche he is now. But, I liked Cyke in that particular time period. He was almost cool.

More thoughts to come as they come to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home