Saturday, February 07, 2009

NYCC DAY 2

One thing hampering my enjoyment of the show as the fact I still had stuff for Index #4 looming over my head. With my deadline on Monday, the chronologies for the X-Men entries were proving to be very complex, on top of the fact I still had several issues to finish. See, this other guy was supposed to do them while I did all the other stuff, but this guy is a bit of a rabble rouser and had a few problems with some format changes that came up as we went and so his formatting was in an outdated style. Rather than try to work my way through the muck that is the X-chronologies, I opted to just do it myself. Oyyyyy am I dumb. But, since I was gonna be stuck at the con all weekend, I decided to partake of some good sales and buy the Essential I was basically working out of, as well as several other Essentials so I could have a jump on whatever title we'd do next should Marvel decide to keep us going.

I managed to get lunch at Subway in with Liz before I had to go off to do another panel. This one was Meet the Editors, with Glenn Herdling hosting Mike Marts, Scott Allie, Rob Levin, and Nick Lowe. Me, Lindsay, Hector and Steve were all working this one and split up snagging the editors. I was sure to give Hector Lowe as an editor from Marvel saw his Hell's Blood and said he should show them his work. Figure give the guy more of a boost, no? But we ended up spending a good 10 minutes trying to find someone to supply the panel with water before Hector opted to just buy a bunch of bottles himself, running him up to a good $40 tab. Hopefully, he can get it as a write-off.

I did some Index work before the next panel, which was my first; the Webcomics panel. Me, Zman, Steph, Rebecca, Joe McGlone, and J.M were on it, with James hosting. It went off pretty well. Some of the panelists had answers that were like ERGH! but overall it was good. Not much in the way of attendance. Now, let me tell you about Liz here; for some reason she had confused the panel I was working with the panel I was on and came to that one. Then she apparently got busy and didn't make this one. D'oh! Doofus.

Taking a walk around, I found myself going into the demo booth for the upcoming Wolverine video game. Gotta say, it looks pretty damn hot. Once the demo was over, they gave us dog tags and foam Wolverine claws. I had to laugh when I saw the boxes they came out of; the very boxes I helped unload days before. At least now I know what was in them! I also ended up finding Khoi Pham, artist for a few issues of Incredible Hercules. I bought one of the books he had there (chosen because in our convo he said how much he loved drawing crazies) for him to sign. He didn't have change for a $20 and I was short a dollar, so he let me slide until I got change. I made sure I hit the discount bins again to buy a few more books and get said change to give him his dollar. It's not much, but I wasn't gonna stiff the guy.

The Indy After Party was a rousing success. Blaggards offered more, but not much more, room for the 225 people we ended up getting. Keith sprung for an hour's worth of food, and me, Alex, his wife and Liz all shared after they took their sweet ass time getting the food out. The raffle was hillarious, as every number they kept picking Once the music started, I was forced to remain in the back 'cause it was LOUD. I also had to leave the party for a bit to walk Rebecca, who I'm surprised actually CAME to the damn thing, to the train. A lot of mingling went on, and hopefully networking, and it was all pretty fun.

However, what was not fun was James' luggage cart being left behind and dumped on J.M. Since he lives in Jersey and wasn't gonna have him lug it back and forth to meeting James may not be at, I ended up taking it. Considering I had my own shit to lug, I wasn't too thrilled. I tried to load up the cart but since I had books in bags that were falling apart, they didn't exactly stay on too well. I made 3 blocks from home when the damn latch on the handle released and the cart closed up, dropping all my shit in the middle of the street. Already annoyed, I picked up my stuff and put it on the sidewalk, then flung the cart about half a block away. After a few kicks for good measure, I picked it all up and carried everything home.

Take it or trash it policy is quickly coming...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home