Saturday, August 25, 2007

BUT WHY IS THE RUM GONE?

Everett and Sue, two new CAG members, were in Small Press Idol with their book Sky Pirates. After a healthy lead, they lost to another entry thanks to mail-in votes. But, Matt's company, Free Lunch Comics, made them an offer to publish the book, an' that's what they were celebratin' at their home in Rhode Island.

I got up an' was out by my planned 10:30, after lacin' up my new Converse an' zip lockin' all my bathroom stuff. Got to Grand Central pretty quick, then was the long train ride to New Haven. I ended up havin' to share my section with half a large Spanish family, meanin' I was nice an' cramped in my seat. It was not a pleasant ride.

Got there 10 mins early, but Keith was there as soon as I got out of the bathroom an' got outside. On the way we had a nice comic an' CAG chat which made the slight bit of traffic more bearable. When we got to RI we stopped by a Walgreens we saw on the way to pick up some stuff to bring to the party; neither of us likin' showin' up to places empty handed. Back on the road, it took a bit of doin' fer us to make out the tiny street signs but fortunately Sue's directions were spot-on an' we soon found their complex. Shawnti an' her family arrived just after we parked, but Matt was already there.

The only problem with things like this is yer guaranteed to NOT know a good deal of the people...which was the case. We were only formally introduced to 2 of them, then the CAGers kinda milled about in their own li'l corner. Matt told me about some things he wanted to accomplish in the small-press industry through his company...all of which I agreed with...as well as that the next edition of his book won't be out till next year (if he has time) and that I hafta contact him to get the third book yet. Met another guy, Joe or John...forget which...who is a sculpter Matt an' Keith met before. Matt wants him to join CAG, and the dude offered to do a sculpture of Hell's Blood, character from a pending book, fer Keith an' Hector.

The party itself had it's quirks. A couple of people dressed in pirate gear while others sported pirate themes on their clothin'. I barely know Ev, but I kinda figgered he'd be in pirate gear. At first I was disappointed, but then he proved me right by changin' into it sometime later. Keith was even dressed in his pirate shirt with a bandana, his gun and a Sky Pirates Pin. There were also Pirates of the Carribean inflatable daggers an' two of those foam swords that the kids were playin' with. Usual BBQ food as well as clams an' two Sky Pirates cakes. There wasn't quite the Jam session Keith hoped fer, but we all set down to do some. Keith did one fer Ev an' Sue's sketch book as did Matt an' Shawnti, Matt also did a sketch fer one of the kids there. Ketih asked me to do a sketch fer him, which inspired two kids to ask me fer one (both of them crappy in my eyes) an' then I hadda do one fer the hosts as well. Good thing I bought that sketch book from Pearl Paints yesterday after work. Still can't believe it. Ya know, I AM a writer...how'd I get roped into doin' all these pictures? And boy, did they ever serve me a reminder why I AM just a writer...but the kids seemed to like 'em so whatever.

When I was finished, Keith had us hit the road. Matt had already left a bit before us, but Shawnti an' co decided to stay. It was early enough that I could catch a train, an' with all Keith hasta do tomorrow decided to give him one less concern an' opted to just head home. Ride back was a bit roomier. I did get another seat mate, but it was just one girl who was kinda cute too. Trains came fairly quick an' I got home a li'l before 1. Had a couple sandwiches, checked my mail, chatted a bit an' now I'm ready to recover from the exertions of the day. Blah. No wonder I don't travel much...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home