GETTING AROUND
Liz left work late so I wasn't able to meet her and Shawnti, not knowing who'd be covering the table by the time the show opened. So, I got there as soon as I could and found Mark and Lindsay there. I needn't have worried, but ah well. Eventually James, Keith, Matt, the Steves, Bob, Liz and Shawnti arrived. Everyone settled in and began to mill about, and so did me and Liz. I took her over to the 25 cent bins Tony told me about yesterday and we began to browse through. I had forgotten my shopping list, so I had the laptop with me in order to verify my need of an issue. It was fine at first, but as more people began to come to the show and heard the price the small crowded area filled up fast. Not for nothing, he had a lotta good books in pretty good shape.
I was able to pick up most of Catwoman and Teen Titans, as well as a few other gems I needed. Liz also got some Michael Turner stuff and New X-Men she was looking for. I didn't do too badly with my initial plucking, having only a few duplicates, but I did screw up with picking up both volumes of Catwoman and giving myself a duplicate of an issue thinking it went to the other volume. So, yeah, I ended up with 164 books. Better than the 500 that one year, no?
The came lunch at White Castle. Me, Liz and James ate there before bringing some back for everyone. Then came more browsing and meeting of people. I got to meet Chris Giarusso who does the Mini Marvels and got the Mid-Ohio Con poster I really dug (now to find the John Byrne version...) and Fred Hembeck, whose Myspace blog I read often. I bought one of his books right from him, and was able to get him to sign it and the book I got in the quarter bin by him. Talk about a lucky break, right? Jim Salicrup, publisher of Papercutz, and Rich Buckler, creator of Deathlok, were there as well, but I didn't talk to them this time around.
It took some doing, but I found the Friends of Lulu Table all the way on the other side of the alley. I spent some time there talking to the president, Valerie (whose blog I read every day) and associate David who has a webcomic on DC's Zuda called High Moon (which I promised I'd check out soon). Me and her talked about some general stuff, including what I've done and what not, and then me and him talked about the future of comics and upcoming price increases. He made a lotta sense, and I hope some of what he says is what comes to pass. Our talk never really finished because Liz came to pull me away to accompany her to find a bathroom, as the ones there were being cleaned forever. David suggested the nearby Roy Rogers which I THOUGHT I knew where it was, but apparently was mistaken. Another was combined with the Nathans on the corner which I forgot about, but was not the place I was picturing. No matter, we ended up at the Burger King a block away. While she did her business, I stood on line pretending (or to buy a small soda if it came to it) to be a customer. When she came down before I got to the register, we took our leave. Sneaky!
It came time to close up shop. I had added two 10" action figures and a Jean Grey from a collection to my purchases after doing another walk around. I packed everything in the long box I was given and was ready to follow everyone out (minus the CTers that left earlier for other things or home) after Mark covered the table with Calafiore's table cloth, having jacked it. Now, I had checked the weather outside before we embarked down for dinner, and it was clear. Of course, when we got to the main floor it was POURING out. I tried to use the bags from yesterdays comics and my umbrella in the box to cover my books with limited success. What I SHOULDA done was used my jacket and screwed myself, but eh, hindsight. In the end, the comics were fine but my Giarusso picture ended up getting wet. I really need to stop getting art because it NEVER makes it home intact.
After dinner at Mustang Harrys, me and Liz made our way to the train to head on home. Liz was sick and up for almost 24 hours, having worked the night before and coming straight here with no sleep (the nutjob). We got here, I set her up in my room, changed while she took a shower, and then she spent the next couple of hours showing ma her work and talking about the show and events in Connecticon. Finally she hit the sack and I set to listing my books. One more day of the con to go!
I also called D, seeing as he had yet to return my phone call. We talked for a bit and cemented the plans to go see Punisher when it comes out. Punisher, by the way, has the quietest promotional campaign EVER. I didn't even know it was coming out until I saw a poster by where pops drops me off. That's gonna hurt it...especially if it sucks.
I was able to pick up most of Catwoman and Teen Titans, as well as a few other gems I needed. Liz also got some Michael Turner stuff and New X-Men she was looking for. I didn't do too badly with my initial plucking, having only a few duplicates, but I did screw up with picking up both volumes of Catwoman and giving myself a duplicate of an issue thinking it went to the other volume. So, yeah, I ended up with 164 books. Better than the 500 that one year, no?
The came lunch at White Castle. Me, Liz and James ate there before bringing some back for everyone. Then came more browsing and meeting of people. I got to meet Chris Giarusso who does the Mini Marvels and got the Mid-Ohio Con poster I really dug (now to find the John Byrne version...) and Fred Hembeck, whose Myspace blog I read often. I bought one of his books right from him, and was able to get him to sign it and the book I got in the quarter bin by him. Talk about a lucky break, right? Jim Salicrup, publisher of Papercutz, and Rich Buckler, creator of Deathlok, were there as well, but I didn't talk to them this time around.
It took some doing, but I found the Friends of Lulu Table all the way on the other side of the alley. I spent some time there talking to the president, Valerie (whose blog I read every day) and associate David who has a webcomic on DC's Zuda called High Moon (which I promised I'd check out soon). Me and her talked about some general stuff, including what I've done and what not, and then me and him talked about the future of comics and upcoming price increases. He made a lotta sense, and I hope some of what he says is what comes to pass. Our talk never really finished because Liz came to pull me away to accompany her to find a bathroom, as the ones there were being cleaned forever. David suggested the nearby Roy Rogers which I THOUGHT I knew where it was, but apparently was mistaken. Another was combined with the Nathans on the corner which I forgot about, but was not the place I was picturing. No matter, we ended up at the Burger King a block away. While she did her business, I stood on line pretending (or to buy a small soda if it came to it) to be a customer. When she came down before I got to the register, we took our leave. Sneaky!
It came time to close up shop. I had added two 10" action figures and a Jean Grey from a collection to my purchases after doing another walk around. I packed everything in the long box I was given and was ready to follow everyone out (minus the CTers that left earlier for other things or home) after Mark covered the table with Calafiore's table cloth, having jacked it. Now, I had checked the weather outside before we embarked down for dinner, and it was clear. Of course, when we got to the main floor it was POURING out. I tried to use the bags from yesterdays comics and my umbrella in the box to cover my books with limited success. What I SHOULDA done was used my jacket and screwed myself, but eh, hindsight. In the end, the comics were fine but my Giarusso picture ended up getting wet. I really need to stop getting art because it NEVER makes it home intact.
After dinner at Mustang Harrys, me and Liz made our way to the train to head on home. Liz was sick and up for almost 24 hours, having worked the night before and coming straight here with no sleep (the nutjob). We got here, I set her up in my room, changed while she took a shower, and then she spent the next couple of hours showing ma her work and talking about the show and events in Connecticon. Finally she hit the sack and I set to listing my books. One more day of the con to go!
I also called D, seeing as he had yet to return my phone call. We talked for a bit and cemented the plans to go see Punisher when it comes out. Punisher, by the way, has the quietest promotional campaign EVER. I didn't even know it was coming out until I saw a poster by where pops drops me off. That's gonna hurt it...especially if it sucks.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home